Wednesday, August 12, 2009

It went well!!!

This morning we had our first appointment. I was beyond nervous. We were up early (which, if you know me, does not happen often) and ready to go at 8:00. We got there and the waiting room was empty. We signed in and took a seat. I remembered the last time we were there in this room. How sad I was. How I scowled at the numerous pregnant women. How I promised myself I would never sit there and "glow" with excitement again. How you never know what the person sitting next to you is there for. We didn't wait long before the cute little nurse Grace walked out and called my name. Ron went to stand up and she instructed him she would be back for him after the "woman exam". He was more than OK with that! Height, weight, blood pressure - all OK. I'm actully watching my weight better the time. Back to the exam room to wait on my own. This gave me time to let my mind race. It was the same room we had our first ultrasound with Emma, but I wasn't to bothered by it like I thought I would be. Nurse Kelli came in and went over my info again, then all of my history. I saw this same nurse last time. I remembered her and she remembered me (well, she remembered seeing my husbands van the day after we met last year - you really can't miss his van "GOGLE PLUMBING" in huge black letters!!) And she remembered when I checked into the hospital. They watched for my discharge for over 3 days.



I undressed and waited for Dr. G. who was running a bit late. Nurse Kelli brought in the ultrasound machine and left it there next to me, turn on. I looked at the blank screen and that was the first time I had a little bit of emotion hit me. I haven't had an ultrasound since that horrible day. It was an uneasy feeling wondering what that screen would show in the next hour. Soon enough Dr. G walked in and introduced herself. I instantly liked her. She's very easy going and "motherly-like". She said she knew of my history but wanted to hear it from me. So I told her our story. She asked all of the typical questions about family history. On to the exam ( you don't really want to hear about that - do you?) and then to the ultrasound. Before I knew it I could see our little "gummy bear" on the screen. Of course the first thing I looked for was any kind of movement. I saw the heart beating away!! I then remembered my poor husband sitting out in the waiting room with a buncj of strange pregnant women by himself!!Oops!! They ran to get Ron. He walked in and Dr. G pointed out everything to him. Showed him the heartbeat then moving the probe around a little bit & got the baby to do a little wiggle for us. She checked the yolk sak and said all looked really healthy and great. She took some measurements and some still photos for us to keep. Then it was over. I felt a huge relief. Ron had a huge smile on his face. I was sure I would be committed for "thinking" I was pregnant. That all of this was in my head and I would be locked away for being some crazy woman who can convinced herself and her body that she was pregnant. I even said these very words to Dr. G (who thought it was hilarious). Thankfully, this was not the case. There really is a baby in there.

I got dressed while Dr.G went to study the measurements from the ultrasound. She came back and announced that we were a week ahead of where we thought we were. Today we are 8 weeks & 5 days (we thought we were 7 weeks 5 days). This was a great thing to hear. Last time we were a week behind and our baby was already falling off of the growth curve. To hear we are a week ahead is just such a relief. Anything different from last time just makes us feel much better.

We left the exam room and met Nurse Kelli in the hall. She asked how it went (she knew how nervous I was) she gave us a huge congratulations and wanted to see the u/s pictures!! I really like her! Then just as I thought "great, they didn't have to/or remember to draw blood", I saw Nurse Grace blocking my get-away & pointing towards the blood lab!! So after a quick stop and 4 viles of blood later (eeekk) I was home free. We scheduled an appointment for 2 weeks from today.

So today's appointment went better than I could have ever expected. I feel really good about this pregnancy. I'm finally getting a little bit excited (but still terrified). I know alot of people are praying for us and this little one & that brings us so much comfort. We thank you from the bottom of our hearts!!! Oh geez, I'm crying now!

So, I'd like to introduce you to our "Baby Googie". We think he/she was asleep at the time and he/she must not be a morning person, just like his/her momma.

1 comment:

  1. Awwwww! How precious!

    I'm so glad to hear that you had a good first prenatal visit.

    ReplyDelete