Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Daisy Award & Beth

While we were in the hospital, we had many nurses care for us. One nurse stood out above all others. Her name was Beth. I really loved her and I was very comfortable around her. She always went above and beyond what was expected of her and it really made a huge difference.

I am an "I'll do it myself" type of person. I don't ask for help most times. But when I was bed-ridden for 3 days, I didn't have a choice but to rely on others for the most basic things. I had a hard time even asking Ron for anything.

Beth was simply amazing. She got all of the plans and details together in a very gentle manner. The most difficult questions any professional could ever have to ask, seemed to flow naturally from her. She wasn't afraid to be herself and even got a few laughs from us during those very dark hours.

Her full name is Beth Dick. She told us how many people would meet her and say her name Beth "Deek". Like they didn't want to say "that" word!! It was hilarious!! Especially when she told us her two dachshunds were named "Itty" & "Bitty". So calling the vet was quite funny. I can just hear it now....."Yes this is Mrs. Dick, I'd like to make an appointment for Itty and Bitty Dick!!!" She had a great sense of humor that you couldn't help but fall in love with.

Last Monday, Beth was honored & awarded "The Daisy Award" for the care she provided us. I wrote a nomination letter for a different award several months ago, but it was not submitted for some reason. My sister re-wrote my letter and submitted it for the Daisy Award. They read our letter at the ceremony and my sister said there was not a dry eye in the auditorium (good thing Kleenex is a sponsor of the foundation!!) The entire unit showed up to be there for her acceptance. I wish I could have been there, but they didn't notify me - damn them!! I am in contact with Beth through FaceBook, so I guess I should send her a congrats message! She soooo deserved this award & recognition! She's just a very special lady that I will never forget!

I looked it up last night and found the foundations website. It tells the story of the award and how special the "healer's touch" statue is. It's an amazing story & a pretty big deal for a nurse to be awarded the Daisy Award. I'm so happy Beth got the nomination!!

If your interested, here's the link to the foundation!

http://www.daisyfoundation.org/touch.htm

Congratulations Beth!!

No comments:

Post a Comment